Information on precautionary site access restrictions to Fermilab's Batavia site in response to coronavirus/COVID-19
We continue to review all events currently planned for the next sixty days and organizers will be notified if their event must be canceled, postponed, or held remotely. Please, check back on Indico during this time for updates regarding your meeting specifics.
As DOE O 142.3A, Unclassified Foreign Visits and Assignments Program (FVA) applies not only to physical access to DOE sites, technologies, and equipment, but also information, all remote events hosted by Fermilab must comply with FVA requirements. This includes participant registration and agenda review. Please contact Melissa Ormond, FVA Manager, with any questions.

indico search will be reestablished in the next version upgrade of the software: https://getindico.io/roadmap/
For public events you may use either https://library.fnal.gov/indico-search/ or your browser's search engine: "your search string" site:indico.fnal.gov

LArSoft Coordination Meeting

US/Central
FNAL

FNAL

Erica Snider (Fermilab), Saba Sehrish (Fermilab)
Description

To connect via Zoom:  Meeting ID 831-443-820

(See instructions for setting Zoom default to join a meeting with audio and video off: https://larsoft.org/zoom-info)

PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android:  https://fnal.zoom.us/j/831443820

Phone:

H.323:

162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
213.19.144.110 (EMEA)
See https://fnal.zoom.us/ for more information
 

At Fermilab:  WH7X (Racetrack)

Minutes for LArSoft coordination meeting on September 24, 2019

Present | Vito Lynn Garren, Saba Sehrish, Erica Snider, Kyle Knoepfel, Herbert Greenlee, Robert Hatcher|

Remote | Katherine Lato, Heidi Schellman, Rob Kutschke, Patrick Gartung, Bruce Baller, Ben Morgan, Tracy Usher, Giuseppe Cerati, Paul Russo|

Release and Project status report [Erica Snider]

  • Last week release was 08_31_00, this is the first release with root 6_18_04
    • Requires using native Cocoa graphics on Mac OS
  • There are breaking changes
    • Lynn will update the releases page for breaking changes information.
  • There are no requests so far this week.
  • Python 3
    • FIFE intends to move to Python 3 early next year, jobsub script will be using older python
    • LArSoft already has py3 qualifier to select Python 3, was hoping to get it done sooner.
    • Experiments should use larsoft with py3 qualifier and report any issues to FIFE
  • There was discussion about Mac OS support.
    • Scisoft plans to drop support for Mac OS due to low demoand, high effort required, loss of available effort
    • no time line was announced for the change, and is expected to occure by the end of this year
    • level of support will downgrade to known to work
    • Scisoft team will focus effort to modernizing our code, HPC etc
    • committed to ensuring that art/larsoft runs on any/all platforms needed by the experiments
    • Welcome contributions that would provide full, official support for any other OS
    • Will document contanierized solutions
    • Rob K mentioned that mu2e ran software tutorial, and there were 40 people who were able to use the docker container without a problem
    • Bruce Baller mentioned about the Xcode support, profiling and debugging tools that are convenient and better
    • There was discussion with Heidi Schellman about how to get information to end user e.g. about debugging tools that is made available by the Scisoft team
    • [TODO] We will send out the information about profiling, debugging tools.

DUNE data model and implications for LArSoft [Heidi Schellman (Oregon state)]

  • DUNE is big
  • APA, 2560 channels => 30 MB/readout/APA uncompressed, 12 MB compressed
  • protoDUNE raw data size - about 75 MB
  • Challenge: far detector is 25 times protoDUNE
    • 1-6 GB per 10kt module
    • 5000 per day
    • 3-10 ms readouts
    • Adds up to 1.6 GB/sec
    • 12 PB/year/module uncompressed x 4 modules
    • Expect one supernovae trigger per month, 100 s readout
    • 4 modules=460TB/event, takes 10hrs to read at 100 GB/s
    • Calibrations will be similar in size and scope
  • Main problem is how to deal with supernovae events
    • Can break into APA chunks to better understand an interaction, but then need to reassemble them to interpret events
  • Part size
    • Noise filtering requires > 100 samples for Fourier analysis
    • 2D deconvolution requires many adjacent wires
    • Signal processing is per APA
  • Reco workflow
  • Issues
    • what is an event?
    • For ND, need to stitch 2-3 detectors together
    • each APA take 30s, can do parallel, or sequential
  • ICARUS is in the same boat, 55K channels.
    • current plan is to read out each TPC separately, changed simulation already
    • planning parallel processing of TPCs for some steps
  • memory issue: SNB: Need to have 2 time slices in mem together to do transform w/o edge effects
  • art vs LArSoft question
    • [Question] at what point are we hitting the framework limitations?
    • [Answer] Parallel processing not a problem. The what is an event question is the hard one. What is the best way of presenting a usable processing unit to the user for doing physics? .
  • ON ICARUS side, deconvolution is on TPC basis, track reco is on cryostat basis, but analyzers want a unified view.
There are minutes attached to this event. Show them.
    • 9:00 AM 9:20 AM
      Release and project report 20m
      Speaker: Dr Erica Snider (Fermilab)
      Slides
    • 9:20 AM 9:50 AM
      DUNE data model and implications for LArSoft 30m
      Speaker: Heidi Schellman (Oregon state)
      Slides
    • 9:50 AM 10:10 AM
      (TBC) Validation of recent PID changes 20m
      Speaker: Dr Kirsty Duffy (Fermilab)