Please join us for the second leadership workshop in the LAWISE* series! Fermilab will be sponsoring a virtual workshop in collaboration with the University of Chicago and Argonne National Lab on Thursday, August 20 from 3:00-5:00pm CDT. This workshop is free and will be entirely online. The event will feature keynote speaker, Dr. Lia Merminga, and a communication workshop led by Janine Sergay, CEO of The Sergay Group, Ltd.
- Dr. Lia Merminga: Dr. Merminga is an internationally renowned accelerator physicist with leadership experience at three science laboratories. She is currently Project Director of the PIP-II project at Fermilab and has than 27 years of experience in accelerator construction and accelerator technology. Before joining Fermilab in 2018, Dr. Merminga was the Associate Laboratory Director for accelerators at SLAC and a professor at Stanford University. She also served as Director of the Center for Advanced Studies of Accelerators at Jefferson Lab and was previously Head of the Accelerator Division at TRIUMF laboratory.
- Janine Sergay: Janine is a global strategy, leadership, and organizational development expert who has helped thousands of individuals, teams, and organizations across a wide range of industries for more than 30 years.
This workshop aims to empower you with strategies, tactics, and tools to unleash your ability to impact others with your communications, both virtually and face-to-face. As a result of the Volatile, Uncertain, Complex, and Ambiguous (VUCA) environment we face in 2020, women scientists, engineers, and computing professionals are uniquely positioned to establish new best practices. It is always during times of change that the opportunities for creative alternatives present themselves. For too long, women have had to adjust to male-dominated work cultures and business processes in their field in order to succeed, as well as deal with society’s perceptions of how women should act and be seen. Now is the time to face these challenges and find your voice to influence others.
Bring Your Voice to the Table
- Strategically position yourself in your projects, your team, and cross-functionally
- Use the cornerstone tools of communication to good effect online
- Build your brand
- Build a culture of inclusion
- Lead with a push vs. pull style
- Run productive, collaborative virtual meetings
- Find out what your manager requires
- Set the communication norms
- Determine how to meet each other’s needs
- Create a relationship care plan
Please register by August 17. Connection details will be emailed to you in advance of the workshop.
Fermilab contacts: Mayling Wong-Squires, Sam Zeller, Holly Lett
* LAWISE = Leadership Academy for Women in Science and Engineering is a task force established in 2019 to provide networking and training opportunities for emerging female leaders who are currently scientists, engineers, or computing professionals at Argonne, Fermilab, and the University of Chicago. LAWISE is part of the Joint Task Force Initiative (JTFI) to increase collaboration between the University of Chicago, Argonne, and Fermilab.