* The recommended option is Camino Inn & Suites. Our block has been released; if book from here on out, metion SLAC to recieve $10 per night off of the published rate. This hotel is in Mountain View, the city to the south of Palo Alto, and is about 8 miles (13 km) away from SLAC. This distance is roughly a 25 minute drive.
We have booked shuttles between the Camino Inn & Suites and SLAC for the morning and evening. As such, there will be no need for participants to rent cars. Note that there are many restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
Please call at your first convenience
+1 650 967 6901
to book and mention “SLAC" for the $10 per night discount. Please also mention that you would like a renovated room.
We would prefer you to make a booking at the Camino Inn & Suites to simplify logistics.
* For participants with a higher budget, we were able to guarantee a small block of rooms at the Cardinal Hotel in Palo Alto. The block includes some rooms that do not have private baths. We feel that the Cardinal Hotel does not have significantly nicer amenities than the Camino Inn & Suites, although it is in a downtown area. The rate for rooms with a bath is $189/night (about $230 with taxes) which is above US per diem levels and for rooms with a hallway bath, the rate is $109/night (about $132 with taxes). While the Cardinal Hotel is closer to SLAC than the Camino Inn & Suites, it is still 4 miles (6.5 km) away. There are free Stanford operated shuttles (the Marguerite), but it will take between 40 and 60 minutes to make it to and from SLAC. As such, if you stay at the Cardinal Hotel, you may feel the need to rent a car.
The Cardinal Hotel reservation can be made at
+1 650 323 5101
and to get the block rate, please refer to "The Theory Group”.
The Cardinal Hotel block will be released on Friday, April 4.
Please make your booking as soon as possible, as all hotels in the area are filling up very quickly. Neither hotel will require prepayment and simply will ask you to place a credit card to hold the reservation.
* San Jose International Airport (SJC) - approximately 18 miles from SLAC
- directions from SJC to SLAC
* San Francisco International Airport (SFO) - approximately 24 miles from SLAC
- directions from SFO to SLAC
* Oakland International Airport - approximately 31 miles from SLAC
- directions from OAK to SLAC
* Stanford/SLAC local campus maps
Stanford Marguerite Shuttle:
The Marguerite is Stanford University's complimentary public shuttle system which traverses the campus Monday through Friday all year (except University holidays). The SLAC line operates between SLAC (with a stop at the entrance to the Guest House) and the Stanford campus, and is available from 7:48 a.m. to 8:28 p.m., approximately every 20 minutes.
The complimentary Stanford Guest House shuttle is also available evenings and weekends when the Marguerite is not.Marguerite Maps and Schedules »
* Super Shuttle operates between SJC and SFO airports and
SLAC for $26 one-way. Reservations can be made in advance online.
* Taxi service will cost approximately $60-$100 each way from SFO or SJC to SLAC.
- San Jose Airport Ground Transportation or Rental Car Guide
- San Francisco Airport Ground Transportation or Rental Car Guide
- Oakland Airport Ground Transportation or Rental Car Guide
Enterprise Rent-A-Car is located on campus and offers a free pick-up service from the Stanford Guest House lobby. Guests can take advantage of discounted rates by mentioning the Stanford Guest House.
*Stanford Zipcar offers hourly rentals using vehicles located on campus
Caltrain (800) 660-4287 Caltrain runs between San Francisco and San Jose, with limited service to Gilroy. The Marguerite campus shuttle provides service to the Palo Alto and California Avenue Caltrain stations. For travel to SFO International Airport, take Caltrain towards San Francisco, transfer at the Milbrae station to BART-SFO shuttle.
For BART information, call: (650) 992-2278